Recovery Essentials After Breast Augmentation Surgery
Often referred to as a “boob job” by many patients, breast augmentation surgery utilizes breast implants or even body fat to help restore the breasts volume (especially after pregnancy or significant weight loss), increase the size and shape of the breasts, and even help to improve the overall asymmetry of the breasts. It’s only natural after breast augmentation surgery for the patient to want to hurry through the recovery process so they can fully embrace their newfound figure. But, the recovery process is critical in determining the final result and that’s why there are certain recovery garments that are essential in helping the patient achieve their ideal outcome. Read below to see which post-procedure garments you should be wearing and which ones we highly recommend.
During breast augmentation surgery, there are different ways and techniques the surgeon will make an incision. This can be through the armpit, the nipple, or under the breast. When the incision is made through the armpit, it is called the trans-axillary technique. If this technique is used during your breast augmentation surgery, then a stabilizer band is going to be the best type of recovery essential for you.
With the trans-axillary technique the implant is placed behind the thick pec muscle. Unlike the other two techniques, this means the muscle remains intact and uncut at the time of surgery; as a result, the implants may end up too high on the chest wall as the strong muscle is pushing them up.
After surgery your breasts will start to naturally drop into place, however, a stabilizer band ensures they drop evenly and don’t continue to rise up for an asymmetrical appearance. Without a stabilizer band post-procedure, one breast may drop faster than the other and this leaves an unbalanced appearance.
Stabilizer Bands We Recommend:
- 3” Stabilizer Band from Isavela: This stabilizer band is an easy one-size fits all garment designed with a Velcro closure to help customized band positioning compression for your breasts. We love it because it is 100% latex free AND it’s breathable elastic helps to firmly keep your breasts from rising out of place while also keeping you super comfortable!
- Implant Stabilizer 4 Piece Kit from Isavela: For maximum support and healing, this 4-piece kit has everything you need to ensure your breasts will heal quickly and properly. Kit includes 3 stabilizer bands and 1 band that adheres between each breast to help guarantee even spacing between breasts as well as support underneath and above to prevent rising.
Post-surgery your breasts will naturally be sore and need time to heal. The final result, including shape and size of the breast will not be achieved until weeks after the initial surgery. During this time, it is absolutely essential to wear a support bra to help speed through the recovery process and also make sure your breasts have a desirable final result.
Support bras differ from regular bras in that they provide much needed compression after surgery. This compression helps the incisions heal correctly as well as help the implants from staying firmly and properly in place. Regular bras don’t provide the additional support needed and the underwire can harm and irritate the incision site, especially if the incision was made under the breast.
Support Bras We Recommend:
- Contour MD SP Cover Bra: If you’re looking for maximum support, this is the bra for you. It features molded cups to help support each breast and keep implants in place, PLUS comes with a built in stabilizer band to help prevent the implants from rising too high. The compression helps to heal swelling and bruising while also providing comfort and breathability. Available in B/C cup and C/D cup.
- Design Veronique 2” Cotton Knit Bra: For something resembling a traditional bra with all the compression support, this bra from Design Veronique is going to be the perfect choice for you. It’s made of a nylon/spandex blend that provides comfort and support while healing. The bra comes with a 2” stabilizer band underneath to help keep breasts in place. Front hooks help to get bra on and off easily with minimal effort and strain.
- Seamless Cup Basic Bra from Marena: While looking basic, it is absolutely anything but. Redesigned early this year, with Marena’s patented ComfortWeave fabric it provides enhanced support for overall comfort and durability. This seamless bra provides ample compression to help keep implants in place. An inch of fabric with elastic band has been added to the bottom of the bra for additional lift and support.